[MEDIA TASTING] – JOO BAR

Tuesday, May 19, 2015


So I had the honor to be invited over to Joo Bar yesterday for a media tasting with my fellow churpies! 
To be honest, I haven't heard of this restaurant before & I was looking forward to it!
Joo Bar,  first & only makgeolli bar and restaurant (in Singapore) that was founded by 2 Singaporeans who loves Korean culture & delicacies. The 3-storey heritage shophouse is located just across Bugis Junction, a 5 minute walk from the new Bugis Downtown line exit D. I love the rusty and stylish interior, looking very different from your typical Korean restaurant yet it gives off a sense of laidback cosiness with the dark wooden furniture and black accents. 
I love how the entire area makes me feel like I'm home & relaxed. 



Image credit – @isaaclim // lookfourteen.com
Makgeolli // SGD $7 for 150ml bottle, SGD $15 for a carafe (serves 2), SGD $28 for large bottle (serves 4).
Makgeolli (Korean rice wine) – It is actually the oldest alcoholic beverage native to Korean. Unlike the more popular, soju, makgeolli is not distilled after fermentation. If you just wna have a try, you can order their sampler set at SGD$35 for 5 (as shown as the picture above) 
They have original, yuzu, peach, strawberry & lychee. My personal fav is the lychee! 
Aren't the colors cute?!? 
Baby Eel Paper // SGD $14 
This is a deep fried baby eel with chilli salt & lime zest. I like the saltiness and the soury after taste of it, it tasted like a mixture of fried cuttlefish & ikan bilis. 
Very addictive but it can be a tad too salty after awhile. 
Banchan // A complimentary for the first serving and a charge of SGD $2 for the subsequent refills.
I love love love the middle dish! It's mash potatoes with macaroni! Yum.
Tofu chips with guacamole & kimchi salsa // SGD $14 
What I like about this dish is the kimchi salsa & guacamole. 
I really like how refreshing the kimchi salsa is!!
Warm kimchi with tofu & spam // SGD $16
First you take a piece of tofu, add the warm kimchi & stack it with the spam. Hmmm. Soooo good. The warm kimchi is also cooked with pork belly, Mangalista. Mangalitsa is a Hungarian breed of domestic pig. 
They have thick and hairy hair, something like a sheep! 
Slow & roasted Mangalista belly // SGD $32
One of my favourite dish of the night! The pork belly is cooked to perfection. Soft and tender, yes very sinful! The Mangalitsa pork belly is seasoned with salt, pepper, soju and makgeolli & steam-roasted for about 2 hours and 45 minutes.
 Eat the mangalitsa belly with onion, garlic, Dijon mustard and spring onion salad. Oh man, I'm missing it. ):
 Joo Boosam // SGD $28 
This is the boiled version of the mangalista belly! The roasted one as mentioned, was very tender and soft. This boiled one was even softer than that! It just melts in my mouth! But if I were to choose, I'd still prefer the roasted version! 
 Hand-chopped korean minced rib steak // SGD $20
One of my fav dish as well! The steak was tender and juicy. Definitely a hit. Really super good.
credit – brenwho.com
Kimchi Chicken Potpie // SGD $14
I love the thick consistency of this dish. I love how the kimchi isnt over powering the dish. It's very homely and I would say comfort food choice. Oh @brenwho & I just can't stop drinking hahahha.
Seafood Gochujiang Risotto // SGD $24
Yum. Seafood was fresh and good. Loving the fusion of this dish! Altho i'm not a big fan of risotto but I would definitely come back for this! It's quite a reasonable portion as well.
Joo Bolio // SGD $28 
Another carb heavy dish! A3 wagyu beef x mangalista pork belly mince with pasta topped with mozzarella cheese. I love the cheese and sauce! Very tasty but not a fan of the pasta tho. 
Or maybe cause I was just too full ): It tasted like beef bolognese for those who're wondering! 
Sojurita // SGD $28 (for 2 - 4 pax)
This is definitely the highlight of the night! & a very 'sojuful' ending to our awesome dinner! The portion is huge & definitely enough to share amongst 2-4 people! 

Conclusion is, I'll be back for more of the mangalista pork belly & the steak. 
Too good! & of course will be back for the makgeolli & sojurita esp on weekends before heading to party esp after the 22.30 curfew. Hahaha. 
A real good place to chill with friends and family! 

Joo Bar
5 Tan Quee Lan Street, Singapore 188094
Tel: +65 81381628 
Opening Hours: Daily 5.30pm to 12am
(They're usually more packed on wednesday-saturday, so go earlier!)





Post a Comment

© With love, Jovelle. . Design by FCD.